VISHAL KAPOOR being a Style Icon & a Fashion Designer always likes to try and dip his toes in all the different puddles of fashion. “Since everyone loves top lists, I thought I’d give you guys something you probably don’t see too often, a quick list of some practical fashion tips” He says.
1. Fit is King > The most dramatic improvement you can make in your style is to make sure everything fits impeccably. Most guys wear clothes that are too large. Make sure everything you wear is al¬most hugging the shape of your body – without being tight. Bad fit is an epidemic, cure yourself.
2. Keep it simple> You want a wardrobe that looks great on you, but don’t overdo it. Don’t wear more than three pieces of accesso¬ries or more than three colors. Doesn’t dress like a rock star unless you’re in a band. If you want to be flashy, a simpler but stylish look would be sporting a black striped dress shirt with a white blazer, a dark pair of jeans, a dressy belt, and your sharpest dress shoes. You could also add a flashy watch or a simple accessory, but nothing more.
3. Change the way you see casual > casual doesn’t have to be boring. Have fun with collared shirts, or take some inspiration from those who approach casual a bit differently.
4. Pay attention to your supporting pieces > Some sweaters are lean and others are big and chunky. The first rule of thumb is that your top and bottom halves need to match. If you’re wearing a big, chunky, rugged fisherman knit sweater, your bottom needs to be rugged, too. Don’t wear a fisherman’s sweater with a beautiful silk-and-wool suit pant. Instead, wear it with something as casual as cargoes or jeans, or dress it up with a Harris Tweed blazer.
5. Never go shopping alone > Most of the time, it’s tough to trust the sales people because they usually work for commission. Shop with a friend who will give you their honest opinion.
6. Stay a notch above > Don’t overdo it to a fault, but dare to take some risks. It’s always better to be a little bit overdressed than under-dressed in any setting. All you have to do is think about where and who you’re going to be with and just step it up one notch. But make sure to be a center of attraction.
7. Never underestimate the power of details > The last thing on is usually the first thing noticed. So mind the details instead of throwing together the main parts of your outfit. “Details” can include a scarf, a subtle pocket square, or the way you tie your tie knot.
8. Invest in a superb pair of shoes > If it’s one thing that women will notice, it’s your shoes. Especially how clean and sharp they look. It’s easy to wash and press the rest of your clothes to keep them looking new, but most guys disregard their shoes. Show that you’re a man of taste by getting a great pair of shoes and keeping them in pristine condition.
9. Fashion Tees with logos > When you’re going around with a big logo on your shirt, you risk looking like a walking billboard. Lose the lame Coca-Cola shirt and go for a classic v-neck tee or something artsy.
10. Disregard trends > Beware of buying something just because it’s “in” right now – stick to what you truly like. A lot of people rush to get in on the latest trend and end up with a bunch of clothes they don’t wear. It’s better to learn to build a versatile and timeless wardrobe first – then bring in your own twists with some of the new fashion.
11. What’s your Brand? > Men and their fetish for clothes are known the world over. Brand speaks genuinity in quality, style and pride of owing. Always choose your brands that make style state¬ment.
12. Continually cultivate your image > Invest more time and money into your image. Cultivate your fashion sense. Your style is a huge mode of communication, and is worth caring for as much as your education, career, and relationships. “Never underestimate the power of what you wear. After all, there’s just a small bit of yourself sticking out at the collar and cuff. The rest of the world sees what you drape on your frame.”
13. Ask for real feedback > Most of your friends and family aren’t going to go out of their way to tell you what looks bad. You have to ask for it. In fact, ask anyone and everyone you trust to tell you the truth. Ask your hairstylist, ask your best friend, ask your mother!
14. Upgrade your shave > Even if your fashion is golden, an un-kempt beard can be an attraction killer. Achieve a perfect shave by trying a shave brush & old-fashioned double-edged razor.
15. Experiment with style > The only way you’ll really learn, is if you go out there and try new things. I make an effort to try some¬thing completely out of my comfort zone whenever I’m at a store – many times you’ll end up loving something you never thought you would. If you make mistakes, life goes on. So many guys are afraid to express themselves through their style, don’t be one OF THEM.
Source: HOPE magazine